Pre-Revolution 2020 letter to my readers.

Dear All,

I cannot remember the last time I wrote a personal blog entry. There was a time, not so long ago; I used to do this regularly.  Twitter spoils us. You can get away with posting one line, and have everyone see it immediately. However, Twitter doesn’t allow elaboration of thoughts, or the feelings behind them. Mostly it is ok, but every now and then, I feel the need to share more with my readers. This happens especially before a book launch. It is the time when I am most vulnerable emotionally, and expressing myself helps.

So, here were go again. Another book releases in less than twenty days. Revolution 2020, something I have lived with for the last two years, is finally going to be out there in the world on October 8th 2011. Countless opinions shall follow, and the book will finally find its place in the world. I remember the how nervous I had felt right before the release of 2 States, my last book in October 2009. I had gone to ISKCON temple in Mumbai the night before and blogged about it later. I do not feel as much nervousness, at least as yet. Maybe I have matured, maybe I am confident about Revolution 2020, and maybe I am just numb. I need to get away for a while, and will share more about that in a moment.

A lot has changed for me in the two years since the last book. More than anything, I think the readership is wider and broader than it ever was before. This is for the following reasons:

1. My last book 2 States, became the most widely read of all my works. For the first time, I saw housewives and senior citizens pick up my book in large numbers, perhaps connecting to the universal theme of marriage and parental approval.
  2. After 2 States, 3 Idiots, an adaptation of Five Point Someone, came out in December 2009. The movie did extraordinarily well, and reached places where none of my books had reached. Almost anywhere in India I travelled, I found a new set of readers for my books, who had picked them up after watching 3 Idiots.
  3. In 2009, I started doing columns for English and Hindi newspapers. Every two weeks since then, I have had a chance to share my thoughts about the nation with a totally different set of readers – the people who read editorial pages, but not necessarily my books. Both TOI and Dainik Bhaskar have readership in crores, and it will be interesting to see if my column readers pick up Revolution 2020.
  4. In the last two years, Twitter and Facebook exploded as well. Millions of readers now connect with me through these two sites and they are a source of constant support for me.

In light of the above developments, it would be interesting to see the initial response to Revolution 2020. I try to not think about the magnitude of expectations, and for that reason I think it would be a good idea to get away for a while.  Hence, even though the book launch is right around the corner, starting tomorrow I shall be in Thailand for a yoga retreat for a week. I will be somewhat disconnected from India and I think that will help settle my mind right before the launch. The program is supposed to be quite tough, as you don’t really eat much the entire week (a glass of juice per day is what I have been told!). Thus, in the middle of all these high profile fasts in the country, I’d be getting away to do my own, and mostly for my own sake.

On the personal front, my twin boys have grown up. They are seven years old now. They were born just two months after my first book came out. Thus, in some ways they reflect my age as an author – still quite young, and hopefully, a long way to go. It is fun to be at home and watch them grow up, even though they disturb me every now and then from my writing. But as Krish says in 2 States – ‘what is life without being disturbed by the right people?’

Anusha is busy at work. She is Chief Operating Officer at her bank, which as you can guess from the title, is quite a big deal. People often call her superwoman. She has maintained her career, brought up twins well and handled a crazy husband. I think she is quite a role model for Indian women.

Apart from books, I spend my time doing talks, which have grown tremendously over the last two years. It is from these talks that Revolution 2020 was born. The talks help me stay connected to India. At the same time, they make my schedule hectic. In the last one year alone, I visited 55 cities.

Hence, I have become terrible at replying to calls, messages and keeping in touch. One of my goals after Revolution 2020 is to simplify life, be more selective in what I choose to do, and make more time for family, friends and myself.

For now however, I have to bring my new baby to the world. Revolution 2020 carries fantastic feedback from the people who have read it, so frankly I am not too worried. To keep things simple, I would do the initial launches only in Mumbai and Delhi, and then get to other cities in a few weeks. I will post details on the same later. This time the title of the book doesn’t reveal so much about the story, but I think that will add to the fun of reading it. I can’t wait for your feedback.

I hope the book launches go well. After all that, in December, I have also promised my family that I will take them on a nice long vacation, especially after the book launch madness, and a part of me is looking forward to that as well.

Thank you once again for your constant support through the years – in almost everything I have attempted to do. I always say: my personal goals in life are already met. I now live for people who have made me – you, my readers.

With that, I better go pack for my 7-day escape before the madness.

Don’t be serious, be sincere.

Love,

Chetan

1. Akanksha says:

Hii, R2020 is my fav novel!! The way you have described the love of gopal for aarti is amazing!! This story has stuck in my mind, especially the end!! I know this book becomes more special then your other books because of its ending!! But it as a reader it upsets us deeply!! So pls write second part of the R2020!!

2. akshay says:

3. Raman.S says:

Dear chetan bhagat sir,

I wrote this from chennai.I have read all the novels that written by you. The three novels have attracted me very much that two states, R2020, Half girlfriend. These novels helped me to improve my english skill little bit and i am waiting for your next novels. Thanks a lot.

4. Nandita says:

You should write the second part of R2020…the ending just broke me.

5. Sam says:

I want to knw wat happnd to gopal after that..did they became frnds… First of all are they real..did this really happened.. Am really curious about it.. If yess please tell us what happend after this..

6. Sam says:

My exams are near.. Bt cant concentrate after reading ur novel r2020 really want to knw wat happewnd to gopal ..r they real pls reply sir..

7. Anurag says:

Sir I have read all your novels. They are tremendously awesome. I have a question to you sir. Is R2020 is inspired by true story?

8. sagar says:

please write second part of r2020

9. Taramohan Swain says:

R2020 is having a lingering effect on my mind,affecting my thought process.
    Please provide us readers with a second part of this novel.Really desperate to know what happened in Gopal’s life

10. Rohit Jangid says:

Hello Sir,

Rohit this side. I read R2020 in 2 days continuously after my friend suggested me to do so.

I’m so curious after reading it about, is it based on true story or how far has been Gopal gone through..??
    What happened to Aarti & Raghav’s relation. Are they doing well!!!

Waiting for R2020 – 2nd Edition.
    Now time to read Half-girlfriend.

Thanks for the Novel. Everything was literally moving in front of my eyes.

Even the way you described, is astonishing.

Thanks again.

Do reply with answers.

See you soon..!! :)

Rohit Jangid
    Jaipur (Raj.)

11. anwesha pati says:

Wonderful……. BT hrtbraking ending…

12. anwesha pati says:

Wonderful……. BT hrtbraking ending….:-(

13. Saloni says:

The ending of the novel Revolution2020 just made me sad. Why did he just let her go? He had loved since he was a child and now when he finally had her, he let her go with someone else. Raghav didn’t fight for her the way Gopal did. I understand Gopal thought of himself as a bad person because he got involved with corrupt people but that doesn’t change the fact that he was a indeed a good hearted person. He stays lonely and sad till the end. Isn’t that unfair for a person who had worked his ass off? He valued him in terms of money and possion which is quite natural because he had none as a child and he often felt neglected because of it. It was because of Aarti that he got back on track at Kotaand he decided to give up on her at the moment she felt for her.
    I felt so bad when Gopal did, what he did. Aarti was his passion and he let her go just like that. It kind of broke my heart. :(

• akash maz says:

ur reply is exactly what i thought afer reading R2020. I felt that gopal could have helped raghav in his plans and getting opportunities for him. how can giving up on arti make him better as a person. besides raghav wont be a candidate for mla elections. But gopal actually did wrong to arti by misleading her into a fake and self created situation. He always wanted her to smile and later when he realised that being with him would make her happy…how could he hurt her. However, tough guy for the tough decision…i realise alll the way that i too love someone the sameway gopal does…but a qtn remains to me unanswered… can i do the same sacrifice…that too not letting others know ….

14. Saloni says:

May 26, 2016 at 7:05 pm · Reply
    The ending of the novel Revolution2020 just made me sad. Why did Gopal just let Aarti go? He had loved her since he was a child and now when he finally had her, he let her go with someone else. Raghav didn’t fight for her the way Gopal did. I understand Gopal thought of himself as a bad person because he got involved with corrupt people but that doesn’t change the fact that he was a indeed a good hearted person. He stays lonely and sad till the end. Isn’t that unfair for a person who had worked his ass off? He valued himself in terms of money and his status in society which is quite natural because he had none as a child and he often felt neglected because of it. It was because of Aarti that he got back on track after falling into bad company in Kota and then he decided to give up on her at the moment she felt for her. WHY?
    I don’t care what others think about it but I guess if Aarti had been with Gopal and turned him into a man who loved himself enough to not give into usual self-criticism bouts, then it would have been great. Aarti went though a lot for internal fight and guilt to be with Gopal. If she wanted to she could have ended during their first ever make out. But she didn’t.
    I felt so bad when Gopal did, what he did. Aarti was his passion and he let his passion slip away. It kind of broke my heart. :(

15. Yash Srivastava says:

HI Chetan Sir,

You story R2020, is a nice book and touched deeply to my heart, as i am from varanasi it’s touched be badly. how gopal can let her go just because Raghav was a good man, what about gopal love what about his passion, if this story is a based on real love story i will try my best to get in touch with the leads Specially (Gopal and Aarti). if it’s just your thought i really appreciate the way you analyze the Banarasi Boy. it’s not an Happy Ending Please write R2020 part to and Make the Gopal Happy… and your readers Too… :) :)

But i am really feeling bad for Gopal he just can’t ruin his life just like that you have to fixed it… or else i’ll not read you any book further untill you are lonchin R2020 II. :(

16. Rakshit says:

We want second part of R2020

17. Love mandla says:

Hi Chetan sir
    You should write the second part of REVOLUTION 2020. The ending almost killed me

18. revanth kumar says:

Sir it touched me and I really felling sad for gopal and happy that rajeev is one of hopes the country need.but tell me atleast after woman of this book did aarti come to know why gopal did this to her and the talked to each other.it is not that easy what gopal mishra had done for sake of the best for our country.but still I amaze how he could left the love,passion,his life essence all dreams and life thought to live with aarti ….brave hearts and inspires many to leave and let life go on…..

19. Basma Hassan says:

please write write second edition of revolution2020..i read this book it made me cry when i finished this book….gopal survived alot throughout his life, in the end he must have happin ending with aarti…please sir write second edition and make aarti to come back in gopal’s life forever

20. Vishal Arya says:

Chetan sir if you are reading this comment then I would like to know how you feel about the three characters in Revolution 2020. In 41st chapter he asks you if he is a good guy or a bad guy.? Well, I am a bit confused with the same thing. If it’s a true story then I hope Gopal is doing fine.
    . Though this book has some heartbreaking moments but it covers drama, friendship, bond, romance, love etc.
    Really one of the best novel I’ve read till now😉

21. Gitesh Kumar says:

Chetan sir, can you please write a second part of R2020?? The ending was quite heartbreaking (I nearly cried when i read the ending). Half Girlfriend, R2020 and Two States are the books that touched my heart. And asked by Gopal that if he was a good man, I will say that he has made the most important sacrifice that will make a revolution. I just wanted to know whether the story is real or it is just a creation of your creative mind?

22. Shuvankar Bhowmick says:

Sir, I was completely broke after reading the entire story….the ending was very like very sad…do something sir…don’t know what…make a second part if you can but make that boy happy sir!

23. Allen says:

Why did Gopal let Aarti Go ?actually is a serious question.
    According to me,He was at level/stage of his life where he knew his life is in danger because of his connection to politics. Although, he is rich now but being rich isn’t easy. He knew That Now Raghav is back in Dainik will be back on Gangatech too. Gopal feared that if Aarti becomes his wife she will be affected by Gopal’s political connection and may be some day her life may be threatend because when you are on Top with political support it is quite often some people like Raghav will want to drag Gopal and Aarti down and Gopal cannot see Aarti in trouble because of his Gangatech and its political support.

Gopal wanted Aarti to be on safer side and it could happen only if Raghav is in politics as you all know Raghav wanted a Revolution and obvious will have a good political face opposite to Shukla-ji.

Gopal indeed knew, may be i am not sure,will one day see Downfall in his life. It could happen that if Gopal Snatches off Aarti from Raghav ” Revenge ” is sure to happen which will effect Aarti if she is Goapal’s wife.

Overall, Gopal wanted Aarti to be safe and respected too and this may not happen if dirty politics and Gopal being ‘sharabi’ is hovering around Gopal’s and Aarti’s married life and its effect you readers can make out.

True LOVE depicted in R2020 isn’t find in real and Gopal’s type lover doesn’t exist, its all fanstasy and Chetan sir make its positive use in his Novel.

24. Shubham says:

Make part 2 and just let aarti to know truth of gopal….
    It will lighten my heart 🙄🙄

25. Rahul says:

It’s my fav one in all of your novels.
    But it’s true that ending upests the readers. There must be a 2nd part of R2020 where we can see Gopal with Aarti and Raghav as MLA so that our heart get satisfied. It’s most affecting novel. I can’t stop thinking about it. Please sir never do that type of ending :(